- US Only -
- Remote -
As a member of the Nelnet Bank technology team, you’ll be on the forefront of the banking industry. We’re creating banking products that make it easy for families to pay for education, understand their financial future, and achieve their long-term goals. As a new bank in formation, you’ll be in a fast-paced startup environment and have a direct impact on our success.
As a Senior Full Stack Software Engineer, you’ll help architect our systems and serve as a technical leader on our team. In addition to extensive coding you will participate in our release planning, scoping, and road mapping activities. We’ll count on you to have deep technical discussions and creative brainstorms in pursuit of innovative mobile, web, and API-driven banking products. Further, you’ll have the opportunity to mentor and teach others on our team and within our company about effective technical design and best practices.
An ideal team member will be a senior-level full stack engineer that has experience with many of these technologies and processes.
- Node.js, React, Vue.js, etc.
- Experience with front end languages such as HTML and CSS
- Deep understanding of queries, table structure, and indexing on relational databases either directly or using well known ORMs
- PostgreSQL, etc.
- Understanding of queries and interaction with NoSQL databases
- DynamoDB, etc.
- Experience architecting and designing new systems and codebases
- Specifically, within an API-driven microservices environment
- Experience effectively debugging and troubleshooting issues throughout a full stack environment
- Understanding of, and experience within, an Agile software development environment
- Sprint management, pointing and scoping, velocity tracking, etc.
- Deep conceptual understanding of general programming and computer science concepts, algorithms, data structures, etc.
- Experience creating and maintaining an automated testing suite
- Unit tests, regression tests (e.g. Postman test suite), etc.
- Working in a codebase with code coverage in the high 90% range
- Experience interacting with CI/CD pipelines during deployment
Bonus Technical Skills
The following are not required to be an excellent fit, but we have special interest in the following experience.
- Experience creating and deploying software in a regulated environment
- FDIC, CFPB, HIPAA, PCI, etc.
- Experience in the financial services industry
- Banking, payments, etc.
- Experience with AWS managed services and CLI
- Fargate / ECS, Route53, S3, CodePipeline, RDS, etc.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- Minimum 3 – 5 years of software engineering experience
- Experience serving as a technical lead working in a complex and diverse stack
- Assisting other developers with questions and issues
- Motivating the team to meet deadlines and achieve goals
- Providing mentorship to increase knowledge across the team
- When required, interacting with customers to solve problems or ideate about new concepts and ideas
- BS or MS in computer science or related field
Of course, we’re interested in more than just your technical skills. We want to make sure that we’re a great fit for each other. Here are some of the characteristics that are must haves for our team.
- You’re motivated and hardworking. Said differently, you’re hungry. This one means a lot to us and should mean a lot to you, too.
- You’re excited and energized by working in a fast-paced, startup environment. Sometimes we all have to wear a few different hats.
- You’re detail oriented. We like to go fast, but we still think it through.
- You handle stress well. You won’t find any jerks on our team.
- You care a lot about creating an exceptional user experience, in fact, you might even obsess over it. No matter which part of the stack you’re working on.
- You’re driven to create something big. You have lofty ambitions and want to be part of a team that changes an industry.
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance. Qualified individuals with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations in order to apply or compete for positions at Nelnet may request such accommodations by contacting Nelnet Talent Acquisition & Recruiting.
Nelnet is a Drug Free and Tobacco Free Workplace.