- Anywhere -
- Remote -
Litmus provides a suite of email creation, testing and analytics tools, trusted by over 250,000 marketers. We’re a tight-knit team that is passionate about helping the world make email better.
We're looking for a Ruby on Rails developer to help expand our product line, improve our existing products and help build the next generation of Litmus tools, while continuing to provide exceptional support to our growing customer base.
What would I do at Litmus?
A typical day for one of our developers might include:
- Collaborating within our Rails team, and reviewing code to help everyone on the team do their best work.
- Talking with our Design team to figure out the best way to present a new feature to our customers.
- Working with our Product team to understand product and marketing goals, and work out a good path to implementing them.
- Working with our .NET team to integrate with our internal APIs.
- Working with customer support to investigate and fix bugs.
What's it like to work in engineering at Litmus?
You'd work alongside a team of smart, curious people working on challenging problems. We're a motley crew of developers with a diverse set of skills and backgrounds. Most importantly, we're supportive of one another; we work as a team to enable each other to do our best work.
"Best work" can mean a lot of things. We care about testing, and apply that through a mix of unit, integration, and acceptance tests. That diligence allows us to ship early and often through an automated continuous integration and delivery process. We're also strong believers of using the right tool for the job. We lean heavily on Rails and the traditional request/response web lifecycle for most of our work. That said, we reach for component frameworks like Vue when there's a clear benefit, and we've implemented full client-side MVC/SPA when the product demanded it. We give our team members the time and space to learn and apply these and other tools correctly. We share our knowledge with each other on a regular basis through pairing, PR reviews, and team talks.
What are we looking for in a candidate?
- You have a well-founded understanding of Ruby and Ruby on Rails. We won't limit to ‘x’ years’ experience, but you should be able to impress us with your app building skills, confident use of Ruby and Rails, and understanding of web development. We're happy to introduce you to the other technologies we use.
- You have product experience. In your work, you think and care about what really matters to customers, and about their experience of our product and company.
- You have good communication skills. As a distributed team, it’s important that we're able to understand each other, through text or the spoken word, and talk at the appropriate level of abstraction. You communicate clearly and with empathy, whether you’re discussing refactoring options with a developer, or working with a designer to understand user experience.
- You write clean, thoughtful code. Our code is the home that we live in every day. You enjoy putting effort into crafting understandable and well-tested code, to make everyone’s shared development experience more enjoyable.
- You are eager to collaborate, learn and teach. Our Engineering team is friendly and supportive of each other, and we look for opportunities to learn from each other’s experience.
What are some of the benefits offered at Litmus?
We offer everything you'd expect from a financially successful and profitable startup, with the stability of a company that's been going strong for ten years.
- Great salary, comprehensive health care benefits, and a generous retirement plan match.
- 28 days of paid vacation—that’s on top of team retreats and public holidays.
- Family friendly. Flexible schedules along with generous maternity and paternity policies.
- Remote friendly culture. You'll join a completely distributed engineering team, and will benefit from the first-class remote experience we've created—giving you the flexibility to work where you want, with all of the tools and resources you need to succeed.
- The best tools and technology money can buy. Top of the line hardware, software, and whatever else you need to be awesome.
What is the hiring process like?
We're accepting applications for this role until Monday, April 6th at 5pm EDT. After reviewing applications, successful candidates will go through the following steps:
- Initial interview. In a relaxed, Slack/text-based chat, you’ll meet the hiring team, tell us about yourself, and learn more about Litmus and this role in particular.
- Sample project. We'll ask you to complete a time-boxed exercise on your schedule as an example of your best work. Your code, commit history, and resume will be anonymized and passed to the engineering team for review.
- Follow-up interview. You'll meet with the hiring team on a Zoom call to discuss your sample project, share context around decisions made along the way, and chat about other technical topics.
- Final round. Spend a day pairing with your hiring manager on extensions to your sample project, and meet some of our engineering leaders and the rest of our Rails team over Zoom!
We communicate with candidates at every step of the process, letting them know if we'll be moving forward, and what they can expect in the next phase.
Who is Litmus?
Backed by $49M from Spectrum Equity, the Litmus email creation, testing, and analytics platform empowers marketers, designers, and agencies to confidently deliver customer experiences that ensure brand alignment and quality, as well as maximize performance and deliverability.
Major global brands across every industry and vertical trust Litmus to make email better, including 9 of the top 10 ecommerce brands, 7 of the top 10 technology companies, and 23 of the top 25 US ad agencies.
Unfortunately, we don't work with recruiters at this time.